Tips for Families
Did you know? When families are involved, students are more likely to:
- Attend school regularly
- Pass more classes and earn more credits
- Display positive attitudes about school
- Refrain from destructive activities such as alcohol, drug use, and violence
- Graduate from high school
Check Skyward 1-3 times a week here: Skyward Family Access
- Grades (missing assignments and scores on assignments/projects/tests)
- Fee/Fine Information
- Food Service balances
- Report Cards
- Student Information
- Immunization Record
- Test Scores
- Messages from schools and teachers
Great resource for college and career information: ReadySetGrad
Here are some tips for what parents/guardians can do:
Middle school has many demands that might be new to students. In order to help your child successfully meet the demands please work with your student to develop an action plan to ensure academic success. All students can be successful and we urge you to be actively involved in your student’s educational program—parent involvement is essential to student success! Here are some strategies to help students improve their academic performance:
- Plan a regular study time at home, making it an important daily activity. Even if your student does not have assigned homework, it is a great time to organize their notebooks, review assignments, prepare for tests, or practice basic math facts.
- The Cougar Learning Lab (CLL) program offered here at CPMS after school from 2:30—3:45 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. CLL is staffed by teachers from CPMS and volunteers from Edmonds Woodway High School who work with students to assist them work. This is an excellent program, offering a place for students to get the help they need to get their work completed and ready for submission.
- Skyward Family Access offers Internet access to student grade reports and allows parents to monitor their student’s academic performance. Parents are encouraged to regularly monitor attendance, assignment completion, and grades via Family Access. This program may be accessed through the Edmonds School District #15 website by selecting ‘Parent and Community’ and then ‘Skyward Family Access.’ You may also contact teachers directly by email through Skyward. Please contact our Registrar if you need your Skyward Family Access password. She can be reached at, (425) 431-4297.
- If you have questions, or would like to schedule an appointment to meet with your child’s counselor or teachers, please call the respective counselor.
Some questions and answers about homework:
- How do I help my student with homework when I’m not available after school?
College Place Middle School has homework help available after school on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Library called Cougar Learning Lab.
- How do I help my student with homework when I don’t know the answers?
You can help your student by setting aside time and a quiet place that is just for doing homework. Check over assignments and ask questions – your student will learn even more from teaching the assignment to you!
- What if my student says there is no homework?
Check your student’s Google Classroom or Canvas where assignments are often posted electronically on their Chromebook. Then, ask to see each assignment and ask questions about it. All of our teachers update their students’ grades regularly on Skyward. Finally, feel free to communicate with your student’s teachers about any missing or incomplete assignments, or if you’re just unsure.
**Source: National Center on Secondary Education and Transition, 2006.